Hermiston Gets Dawged - By Jack Forbes

    In Richland’s doubleheader outing versus the Hermiston Bulldogs, game one ended in blowout fashion, and the Bombers had no remorse right out of the jump. They would end up taking the game 14-2, and the score portrayed exactly how the game went. Alec Ammerman would take the bump to face off against Hermiston’s JR Starr. I talked to the RHP, Ammerman pregame, to see his mindset going into the game. “Every game I play, I take it just as seriously as the other games, no matter the opponent,” he said. “I expected us to perform at our highest potential as that is always the goal. The end goal is always to win, no matter how we get it done." 

Photo: Metcalf Media (@metcalfmedia_)

    Alec went four innings, zero earned runs, with four K’s to add on. The scoring started early, with an error scoring two and Michael “Big Mike” Revell with a three-run shot to cap it off. The Bombers continued to pour it on, thanks to an eight-run second inning. The scoring came in every way possible, and that’s what makes baseball baseball. Tanner Ortiz singled, driving in one; Michael Revell walked, scoring another, and two errors would result in four more runs on top. Starr, Hermiston’s starter, would go one and one-third innings before he would be relieved, surrendering eleven runs, only 2 of which were earned. 

    Richland amassed ten hits in the game, with the eight-hole hitter, Michael Revell, leading the way with three RBIs, going 1-2 on the day. Outfielder Rayce Reeves and pitcher/first baseman Dallas Bennett each added two hits of their own. For the Bulldogs, Tanner McKoy(aka TC) and Isaac Luevanos each drove in one run. Luevanos led Hermiston at the dish with one hit in two at-bats. I got to speak to outfielder John Simons postgame about his approach at the plate, who went 1-1 with a walk and two runs scored. “My mindset this year has been to just try and keep things simple. Throw the hands and hit the top half of the baseball. Mistakes on the ground are much better than mistakes in the air”, Simons said. “I keep my composure by not getting on myself when I do make a mistake. I always think about how if you are in the MLB and fail 7/10 times, you are a Hall of Famer. With this in mind, I just learn from my mistakes quickly and move on to the next AB”. 

Photo: Metcalf Media (@metcalfmedia_)

    The Bombers would close the game out in the fifth by run rule, with sophomore Braylon Edwards taking the bump and throwing just 14 pitches, 11 being strikes. He allowed no hits and added a strikeout to his stat line, ending the dominant performance by Bomber Baseball. 

    Game two of the doubleheader was a much closer game, with Tanner McKoy matching up against the dominant Dallas Bennett. Dallas is always a highly anticipated outing, and he did not disappoint. He would go six strong innings, giving up only two hits and striking out seven, and earning the 5-0 win. Tanner McKoy’s outing was not to be looked down upon in the slightest, as he went six full innings against a loaded Bomber lineup, only allowing six hits and four earned runs. 

Photo: Metcalf Media (@metcalfmedia_)

    I was able to get a couple of words from the righty postgame about his mindset when he is pitching and how he adjusts to certain hitters. “When I am up there, I just try to think that they can’t hit me so I can give myself that confidence to keep going, and I use my off-speed as an advantage with that. I do adjust to certain hitters when they are really good by trying to paint the corners inside or away, but I will try to throw a lot of off-speed because those are my best when I am on”, Tanner told me. “I also try to challenge a lot of people to see if they can hit my fastball far, so it’s a lot to think about, but once you get the mindset and know your pitch sequence, you will throw so much better.” 

    John Corbin and John Simons would lead the way at the plate with two hits each and 3 RBI total for the Bombers. Michael Revell added two runs batted in himself; those three guys are doing the real damage. Richland was always a real threat on the base paths, stealing five bases in the game, John Simons with two himself. Watching the game, he reminded me of Ronald Acuna out there swiping bases. Dallas Bennett added a hit at the plate himself to go along with his performance on the mound. I ran into Hanford’s left-field prodigy Eli Perkes at the game and asked him what he saw in this matchup. “Tanner McKoy came out slinging it for Herm. Holding a talented lineup full of next-level athletes to only four earned runs. Going six innings pitched against this team is a feat on its own. Also, Dallas Bennett’s pitching arsenal is gross. He can throw a fastball by you and come back with a changeup that you can’t touch.” 

Photo: Metcalf Media (@metcalfmedia_)

    The Bombers had one of their best games defensively, committing zero errors on the field. John Corbin had the most opportunities in the field, with nine putouts. For Hermiston, Brody Woodard and JR Starr each collected a hit. Starr went 1-1 with a walk in two at-bats. After the game, I was able to get a take on the game from spectator and Hermiston basketball player Izzy Simmons. “This Bomber lineup is really talented and can really compete for every game; shoutout TC Gettabag on a solid outing on the bump,” she told me. All around, Richland came to play, and it really showed. They will look to continue their success to finish off the season undefeated and compete at state. Shoutout, Hermiston, and good luck for the rest of the season. w


Popular Posts