Inside the Friendship: Chris & Josh - By Zyen Vergara

    Knowing the football players of your high school is very different from genuinely knowing them off the field. I was able to talk to the Bomber’s man under center, Josh Woodard, and starting defensive end, wide receiver, and wrecker of havoc, Chris Daniels. These two are teammates, but my interview with them shed light on how deep this relationship stemmed. 


    Going back 14 years, these two Bomber athletes began a friendship that started at the age of four. Since then, this bond has had enduring moments on and off the field, and is an incredible accomplishment to be able to tell people.

Atomic Times: Is there a certain game you remember playing with Josh, and why is that a core memory?

Chris: One that stands out to me is in middle school seventh-grade year. We both played for Chief Joseph Middle School. We were playing Carmichael Middle School, and Josh had 32 points, and I had assisted him on 11 of his buckets. This is a strong memory because we had so much fun playing together in middle school. I remember during that game, I would get the rebound, and Josh would already be running up the court, and I would make a full-court pass to him, and he would score. We did that around eight or nine times before they could catch up to us. It was a really fun game. 

Atomic Times: Josh, is there a certain game you remember playing with Chris?

Josh: Freshman year, Chris and I played football together, and the most memorable game was when he caught the winning touchdown against Hanford. 

    Winning together was obviously a memory they cherished, and this would be a frequent event that would happen in their successful careers. Off the field, they are best friends. I asked them both, “What makes your friendship unique?” After hearing both their answers, I understood that they were more like brothers than best friends. 

Chris: I explained that I feel that we both know each other’s wants, likes, and dislikes. Both being athletes also gives us the drive to make each other better in everything we do.  

    Their families are also close. Chris goes to Josh’s house to hang out with him and his five brothers, playing video games, sports, and other boyhood activities.

Atomic Times: When and how did you know you can depend on one another? 

Josh: I knew that Chris has always and will always be there for him. I can always depend on him inside and outside of sports. Chris is caring, and I have this trust in him that’s been built through all our years of being friends. 

Chris: I also know I can depend on Josh because of the amount of trust I have in him. Josh has been there through all the ups and downs in (my) life and in sports. Josh has never let me down, and I know he can depend on him one hundred percent of the time. 

    Getting to know both of them and their friendship was exciting. They both have complete trust in one another and show compassion to each other both on and off the field. Most teenagers our age can’t say they have that type of friendship, and knowing that they can is fantastic. No one, including myself, would have ever seen that through how they play on a football field. 

Photo: RHS Yearbook

Atomic Times: How would you describe yourself?

Josh: I describe myself as hardworking and kind. A lot of people only get to see me through the sports lens, but I would say I’m always trying to be positive to everyone and nice.

    Josh also mentions he thinks this is why he and Chris get along because they have similar qualities. 

Chris: I describe myself as a very unique, strong, confident-minded person who cares about other people and does what it takes to achieve his dreams. Athlete is also another word to describe myself. I’m also smart, whether it’s on the field, the court, or the classroom. 

    These athletes have known each other their whole lives and have been growing their strength in friendship throughout the years. These young men have achieved many accomplishments together and will achieve many more.


Popular Posts